The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Dynamite (BANG!)

My dad used to be a sushi chef so he taught me how to make Dynamite, those rich mayonaise sauce topped seafood. I used some sliced octopus, salmon, kanikama (imitation crab) and mushrooms but anything you enjoy will work fine. Instead of making individual portions, I just made a big one in an 8x8 brownie pan.
The mayo sauce is quite simple, mainly minced or crushed garlic and mayonaise. Often times they put in masago (smelt roe) and since that isn't something most people have in their fridge, this one is optional. I just happen to have some in the freezer that needed to be used. Spread it over the top...

And bake. I used my toaster oven. This dish is very rich, almost too rich for me, so I don't cook this too often. This same sauce tastes great on green mussels, sliced boiled potatoes, or in mushroom caps. Adding cilantro to the mayo sauce gives it that "fresh" taste, and my dad even adds miso sometimes. This is a good base that has endless possibilities.


No comments: