The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Daring Bakers-June 09-Bakewell Tart...er...Pudding

The June Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Jasmine of Confessions of a Cardamom Addict and Annemarie of Ambrosia and Nectar. They chose a Traditional (UK) Bakewell Tart... er... pudding that was inspired by a rich baking history dating back to the 1800's in England.
*
Like many regional dishes there’s no “one way” to make a Bakewell Tart…er…Pudding, but most of today’s versions fall within one of two types. The first is the “pudding” where a layer of jam is covered by an almondy pastry cream and baked in puff pastry. The second is the “tart” where a rich shortcrust pastry holds jam and an almondy sponge cake-like filling. The Daring Baker version is a combination of the two: a sweet almond-flavoured shortcrust pastry, frangipane and jam.

I was happy to be able to use my tart pan, come to think of it, it may have been my first time ^_^.
*
At first I was going to use lemon curd for the filling. But after finding an easy blueberry jam recipe I decided to go with that since it'll get me to try a new recipe. The jam was a speedy refrigerator jam, found the recipe at allrecipes.com.
The finished tart looked burnt but it wasn't...thanks goodness. The shortbread crust got a little soggy from the jam, but over all I think it came out good.

No comments: