The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Hog Maw Soup

What's hog maw? It's pork stomach lining, very muscular and no fat when cleaned properly. I like to make it into soup. I cut them up into small pieces and boil them first and rinse before putting them into the soup. The soup is flavored with dashi (fish stock), miso, sake, as well as some ginger and garlic. I add some daikon and konyaku (yam cakes) as well. Sage especially likes this soup and other soups of this kind made with tendons and such. Unfortunately I can't find parts like this at an American grocery store (perhaps in the south?) so I get these from a Chinese store in San Diego. What do Americans do with these parts? Put them into hot dogs?

No comments: