The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Monday, March 02, 2009

Something I haven't done in over a Decade

And that is reading. Not flipping through magazines, cookbooks, garden/arts & crafts books, comic books, nor webpages, but actually READING a novel. I can't remember the last time I read and what book it was. And the funny thing is, I actually enjoyed it. In this age of computers, any spare time I have I'd surf the net. With so much going on with the kids and the house, computer time has become my down-time, my leisure time. There's so much interesting stuff out there. But it also sucks me in. Hours and hours go by, my eyes would start closing telling me it's bedtime, but I fight it and sit in front of the damn thing like a zombie. I walk by it during the day and it calls me. I give in, ok just for a little bit... But lately I started to feel like I walk away from the computer having wasted way too much time. Given the time I put in, I get so little out. So I decided I'd start reading instead. My first book was "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom. I found this at a library book sale, the title instantly caught my eye. And for only 33 cents, who cares if it sucks? Turns out it was a really good book. Although the book isn't too long, it took about six sittings to finish it, an hour here, an hour there. My oldest daughter LOVES to read. She's always reading, and for the most part will give anything a shot. I'm a little more picky. My younger brother gave her Paulo Coehlo's "The Alchemist" for x-mas. She read it in one day. When I saw my brother a couple weeks ago, and told him I actually read a book, he says I SHOULD DEFINITELY read "The Alchemist." And so I did, and boy was it a good book. So good that I've ordered his other books through the library and I'm waiting for them to arrive. If you're a fan of spiritual quests and meanings of life, I would highly recommend this book. As for my next book for now, I found a book on our bookshelf, "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten (uncommon thoughts on common things)" by Robert Fulghum. Hopefully I won't drift back to my usual ways, so for now there will be a "Books I'm Reading" on the Sidelinks. Any recommendations on good books (not too long nor difficult) are always welcomed!

1 comment:

velogucela said...

Hooray!
The Alchemist is indeed a powerful read.

Another similar read is:
"The Wizard of Earth Sea" and about the same length.