The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Triple Dog Dare - July Challenge



This month's Triple Dog Dare challenge: veggies. Oh, there were so many veggies I can choose from on this one. So I chose kale. Kale is one of those veggies that has never interested me. It just looked like a huge, bitter weed. So this was a good choice. Now, how do I cook this thing... I asked my brother who's had it before and he said salad or soup. I wanted something kinda light and refreshing, so I turned it into "ohitashi" which is a Japanese side dish of boiled greens (most commonly spinach), often garnished with dried bonito flakes, and flavored with soy sauce. And I served it next to some hiya-yakko (chilled tofu). The kale had a strong taste, but wasn't bitter as I had imagined. My kids thought it was spinach, and Abby liked it. I can see myself buying kale again! ^_^

2 comments:

hadie said...

If you ever ate The Olive Garden and ordered their Soupa Toscana (spicy sausage potato soup), the leafy vegetable in it is kale. I love it. I would love to get my hands on that particular recipe. lol

btw... I LOVE the main picture you have there of "Foolish Pleasure Rd". LOL I live near a street called "Delicious Rd". or is it Way? LOL Either way, I think it's funny... there's even Jam and Jelly near it. LOL

Mother Bliss said...

How funny. I pass this street on my way home from San Diego, driving through Aguanga and Anza. It had never been worth stopping to take a pic, but this one day, across the street was someone selling fruits and veggies. It was time...

No, never been to the Olive Garden. Just one of those places that the interior isn't inviting for us. We've walked in once, and walked out, never to return. Don't know why, it just didn't feel right. I bet someone has a copycat/clone recipe of the soup on the net somewhere.