The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Tuesday, January 08, 2008

50-Minute Hamburger Buns

Found a recipe for one of the fastest yeast recipes I've come across so far. We were having hamburgers, and the ones at the store for $1/bag just don't taste good. And this only took 50 minutes, from start to finish. It would of taken me just as long to drive to the store and back. And the bread was pretty good too.

Recipe:

Mix together:

2T yeast
1c + 2T warm water

Add:

1/3 c. oil
1/4 c. sugar

Mix and let stand 5 minutes.

Add:

1 egg
1t. salt
3- 3 1/2 c. flour

Mix to form a soft dough. Knead 3-5 minutes, until smooth and elastic. Divide into 12 pieces and shape into patties. Place 3" apart on greased sheets. Cover, and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 425*F. Bake about 12 minutes or golden brown.





I shaped them pretty flat since I didn't want round buns. 12 rolls were a little on the small side. The meat patties were sticking out the sides a little.




They rose a little during baking, but didn't expand horizontally as much as I wanted. But I'm still happy with the results given the short time it took to make it. Shaped differently, it'd make good hotdog buns too. Or even last minute dinner rolls.

1 comment:

Polliwog said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I made these as hot dog buns a couple of days after I saw your post, and they turned out great. I haven't posted on them yet...maybe later. I love making this kind of thing instead of buying it. Since it's just the two of us, I always used to end up with too much and they'd go bad or live in the freezer for a year. This way I can make them organic, healthy, and only as many as I want. Thanks again!