The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

IHOP French Toast

Lately I've been into Todd Wilbur's "Top Secret Recipe" books and website. There are so many clones of well-known foods that he's come up with, it's great. I've been enjoying looking at his recipes. Here's one I tried this morning, International House of Pancakes French Toast. Sure, I know how to make French Toast, but this recipe made it into the book for a reason, right? So I thought I'd try it out. For the most part, basic french toast ingredients, eggs, milk, vanilla, but one that I never use, flour. I guess the flour helps to create a thicker coating on the bread, almost like a tender crepe on the surface, keeping the bread from becoming too soggy. I liked it. Paired off with some potato rounds, grapefruit segments, and sweet apple camomile tea, it was a nice breakfast.

IHOP French Toast
Beat:
2 eggs in a large, shallow bowl.
Add:
1/2 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
3 T. flour
1/8 t. salt
Beat the mixtuer with an electric mixer till all the flour is well combined.
Melt some butter on a skillet, dip the bread into the batter, being sure to coat each side well, and cook till golden brown on both sides.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar or topping of choice.
I like my french toast plain without syrup or powdered sugar (although it looks pretty), so I added 1/3 c. sugar and about 1/4 t. cinnamon to the batter so the bread comes out sweet and can stand on its own.

10 comments:

Miya said...

I've been looking everywhere for IHOP's french toast. Thanks for the recipe!

Anonymous said...

The best French toast recipe. Thanks so much. I have tried it 4 times and every time it tastes better than the first . Amazing

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! IHOP has some competition now!!! I just saved myself $6 per person and I have a family of 5 so we saved $30 for breakfast!

Thanks,
GA Boy

Anonymous said...

thanxxx

Anonymous said...

I love it

Unknown said...

This helped greatfully and loved it.

Anonymous said...

Mine was still a bit soggy fully cooked on the outside but still tastes great.. any ideas?

Unknown said...

What kind of bread do you use and what brand ?

Mother Bliss said...

Any type of bread will work. I like to use the thicker "texas toast" bread but if I have bread that's getting old, I'll use that too.

Unknown said...

Nice !