The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Monday, February 25, 2008

Swedish Oatmeal Cookies


February has been a blah month for me. Having the flu for a couple weeks really made me weak. I still feel like I'm not quite back to normal yet. I can tell because I haven't been feeling productive nor feeling like baking. Flat out not feeling like doing anything (except sit in front of the computer :) ) It rained all day Sunday, a real gloomy day, a stay home day. It had been a while since I baked so I forced myself to make a quick batch of cookies even though we have PLENTY of food and snacks in the house. When I was a teenager, I remember eating Swedish Oatmeal cookies at the cafe I worked at. It was homemade by the accountant. It was moist and soft, not spicy at all, just plain good. I have yet to succeed in making oatmeal cookies, they always end up being too hard. Looking at a couple Swedish Oatmeal recipes, the difference was that there is more oats than flour. I was hopeful that I may finally make good oatmeal cookies. With 14 cookies on each sheet, it made just two sheets. And the really flattened out in the oven, kinda like lace cookies. I underbaked them two minutes, and they were good coming out of the oven. Crunchy on the outside, chewy in the middle. But after they cooled, they turned into the dreaded crispy cookies. The kids still enjoyed them, after all, they are still cookies in their eyes. But my search for good oatmeal cookies still continues...

No comments: