The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Homemade Simple Kimchi

I'm not a big fan of spicy foods but for some reason I like Kimchi. Yeah, I know it's weird, but it's like those people to hate tomatoes but love ketchup and salsa. But usually the kimchi sold at stores are a bit too spicy or just plain expensive so I tried making my own.
First, I made a paste: 1T grated/pressed garlic, 2-3 T (or to taste) korean chili powder, 1T salted shrimp (tiny little shrimp in a jar, found at a korean market), 1/2 apple (grated), a little salt, and 1T ground sesame seeds.
I used one whole small napa cabbage, washed and drained, then cut into 1" sections. Took a little bit of salt (about 3% of the weight of the cabbage) and rubbed and massaged it in to pull out the water. Let sit about 20 minutes.

Squeeze out the water of the cabbage and mix with the chili paste. Put into a container and let sit in refrigerator for about a week. As more water comes out of the cabbage, it creates its own brine. I used 2T chili powder so it was on the mild side so the kids can eat it too. Simple and delicious.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice... btw, Dave (my dog, not your husband) loves the treat. He's been working on it for about 3 hours now. I'm gonna have to take it away so I can sleep tonight.