The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Sunday, December 28, 2008

French Yule Log / Entremets

This month's Daring Baker Challenge: a French Yule Log. It's kinda like a fancy layered creme dessert. This has to be, by far the most fanciest dessert I have ever made. So I had no idea how it would turn out. Nervousness and excitement both.
This dessert consisted of the following: Vanilla Mousse, Creme Brulee, Praline Feuillete, Dark Chocolate Ganache, Dacquoise Biscuit, all layered and then covered in Dark Chocolate Icing. Makes you think "WOW!" doesn't it?
I chose to go with the vanilla mousse instead of the chocolate since I didn't want it to be overly chocolately. Creme Brulee is one dessert I really enjoy but have been scared to attempt at home. I think it came out alright, not quite as creamy as I would of liked, but tasted like it. The praline crisp, I went with the rice crispies and since I didn't have any pralines, I subbed toffee chips. These came out really good, like they could be a treat all on its own. The dark chocolate ganache, oh, words can't explain this one. So creamy and rich, mmmmm. And they didn't get hard in the freezer. These could be used in some really good truffles. I wonder how soft they would get at room temperature. The biscuit had called for almond meal, but due to Emi's allergies, I subbed graham cracker crumbs. The last time a recipe called for almond meal and I subbed graham flour, I really didn't like the results, so I didn't have high hopes for this one. Kinda felt like it was the only substitution I had at the time and being a procrastinator, I couldn't run to the store for something else. But I was pleasantly surprised. They came out really good. Nice flavor and biscuit-y. They were good plain too.
I served them frozen, having read that the different elements thaw at a different rate. My kids loved it, except the mousse and creme brulee part. My nephew enjoyed his entire piece, and as per his request to include his quote, he says, "Bite by bite, layer by layer, a step into Heaven." Pretty good compliment, isn't it?
Too see some other neat creations, check out the rest of the bakers. Hopefully someone'll have the recipe posted for those who'd like to attempt this one.

4 comments:

Gretchen Noelle said...

Glad the sub worked out for you and I do love your nephews line!! Looks like you did a great job on the log!

saffron said...

That is one beautiful dessert! How decadent! I would be very intimidated to make it.

Happy New Year to you and your entire lovely family!
-saffron

Anonymous said...

Great job on the Yule Log, very intense recipe!

Anonymous said...

Your log looks great! I think that the toffee chips would be to die for! Everytime I look at what other people did with their log, it makes me what to try it again!!