The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Monday, May 05, 2008

Boy's Day

May 5th is Boy's Day in Japan, although often called Children's Day, but since the girls had their day on March 3rd, the emphasis is on sons. Families often decorate with brightly colored carps made out of paper or fabric which when flown in the wind they look like they are swimming. The carp has become the symbol for the boys' festival, because the Japanese consider it the most spirited of fishes, full of energy and power that it can fight its way up swift streams. Because of its strength and determination to overcome all obstacles, it stands for courage and the ability to attain high goals. The carp is an appropriate symbol to encourage manliness and the overcoming of life's difficulties leading to consequent success.
So I made some Easy Tiramisu from the Cake (Mix) Doctor to use up the cake mix in my cupboard. The frosting/topping was made out of cream cheese and vanilla yogurt, which didn't taste too good. The cake part was ok, I think I'm going to scrape the topping off since no one liked it. I should of known better, but my optimism clouds my judgement sometimes.

No comments: