The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Japanese Pizza

... so it is called in the states, but it's real name is Okonomiyaki, which literally translates into "cook what you like." This dish is so open to variation, kinda like the various pizza toppings we have here. Basically, it's a pancake (but not sweet nor crumby like the breakfast kind), with some veggies (most commonly cabbage) and other things such as seafood or meat mixed in the batter then cooked on a griddle. Often times, thinly sliced meat can be placed on the top for extra flavor. Different regions of Japan have their own way to making it (like NY pizza differs from Chicago pizza), some will add yakisoba (stir-fry noodles) or even layer the ingredients instead of mixing it all up. The okonomiyaki is eaten with a thick worcestershire type sauce, some mayo, red ginger, bonito flakes, and seaweed flakes.
I made ours with shrimp and cabbage. Here's the sauce with the mayo and seaweed flakes. I like to make little web designs with my mayo. My kids think it's so neat.
And the final product with all my toppings. Very delish!

1 comment:

saffron said...

Yum! You have to teach me how to cook!!!