The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Cherry Picking Some Cherries

I met up with my parents and my brother at the Mile High Cherry Orchard in Cherry Valley for some cherry picking. Both my kids and parents really enjoy u-pick places. We've been to this same orchard 3 years ago with my other brother and liked it. It's nice to go picking cuz the kids get to see how their food grows. Even I didn't know cherries grew on trees (always thought they grew on bushes), till I saw them in person (despite the famous George Washington story...) it's just something you really don't think about.






And two days later we went to the Temecula Berry Company to pick some blueberries. Blueberry picking was a first for us. Abby has been asking if we could go blueberry picking but I didn't know of one. I stumbled upon this one by accident, at a good time too since they were only open for two more weeks. The berries were really good, and the prices were reasonable too, $5 a pint.


Sage pretty much ate more than he picked but Emi really got into it. She'd find a good bush and just sat there picking away.




2 comments:

hadie said...

That looks like it was a lot of fun. Cherries!! I bet it was so much cheaper too than at the store. lol

Last year, my older two went picking for blackberries with some friends. Apparently you have to go with long sleeves and special tools for reaching because of the thorns in the bushes. But it was nice to come home with a container full of blackberries. Love it.

Here's a link to a website with info about pick your own areas in california. Maybe you'll be able to find more in there for you and the family to do. ^_^

http://www.pickyourown.org/CAla.htm

Anonymous said...

Dee-lish too. Thanks for sharing!

Brendan