The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Easy Cinnamon Bread

Here's a recipe (and pictured tutorial) from the King Arthur blog... a nice, easy cinnamon bread that bakes like a quick bread, but has yeast in it. And what caught my interest was the cinnamon chips in the bread, so I didn't have to roll it out. I liked how simple this was to make.
The recipe calls for cinnamon chips that they sell off their website. But it's about $6 plus shipping. So I did some searching and found out that Hershey's makes cinnamon chips. The Hershey site can tell you where to find them near you. In my case, Albertson's had them for $2.50 on sale. The strange thing is that cinnamon is not listed on the ingredients list, but has "natural and artificial flavors". How can you make cinnamon chips without cinnamon? But it was bettter than spending $10 to buy King Arthur chips, and not liking the recipe, so I bought the Hershey chips instead.
This bread was very good. Kinda tastes like a cinnamon roll in a bread, but denser. The cinnamon chips has a similar texture to chocolate chips, so there's some bite to it. The chips looks like they melted a little, and it looks different than the King Arthur kind. I think I'll try their chips the next time I order something from them.
The hardest part is waiting for it to COMPLETELY cool, which the recipe highly recommends for better slicing. We couldn't wait, so we dove into one. Good thing I made two loaves!

3 comments:

SSIDYLLWILD said...

Sooooooo Yuuuuuuuuumy

Anonymous said...

Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar. You could also avoid the toxic effects of Coumarin in Cassia.

The Cinnamon that we buy in the US is actually Cassia which could be toxic.

Please click the below link to read more.

http://www.ceylon-cinnamon.com/Identify-Cinnamon.htm

Mother Bliss said...

Very interesting info. Thanks. I wonder why it is sold if it is bad for you, especially because we live in an age where people are concerned with anything even remotely harmful.