The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Homemade Natto

Tried homemade natto. I cooked soybeans till they are soft, then mix with a little pre-made natto, incubate 24-hrs at 100 degrees, refrigerate overnight, and its done! The process is kinda like making yogurt. Those darn soybeans took 24 hrs to cook, started off in the crockpot for about 12 hrs, then I grew impatient and transferred them to the stove. Kept checking every so often to see if they were done, and add more water. One time I stepped away a little too long and some of it burned. Man, I was bummed. I saved what I could and proceeded. Two days later, there was enough for us to have lunch. Tasted like natto, which was good. Just not as sticky. Made some miso soup with my homemade miso, and had a pretty healthy and tasty lunch.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Could you give more detailed instructions on how you made natto with a crockpot?

I'd like to try it.

Anonymous said...

in general, I find cooking most bean varieties and rice in a preesure cooker to be faster and tastier: soybeans soaked overnight 9min, unsoaked 30min...soark grain brown rice turns out like sushi rice, also