The food part of this blog has moved to http://motherblissmunchies.blogspot.com I'll see all you foodies over there!

Monday, December 17, 2007

Satsuma-Age

Another thing we like but each package is small and pricey, are satsuma-age (fish cake tempura.) It's something I have to get at a Japanese store too, can't find them around here. So I gave it a whack. Basically, take some fish, food process into a paste, add some sake, sugar, salt, and cornstarch, along with whatever you want to add. I added some green onions, carrots, and burdock roots. Deep fried them till golden brown, and finished cooking them in the oven. They came out pretty good, really close to the store bought ones. And for under $10, I got around 40 patties. They would of been around $3 for 5 patties. Definitely worth making again. No preservatives nor MSG, which that reason alone is worth making things from scratch, plus the economical value.

No comments: